Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Stanley #78 Rehab


While on vacation my eBay account was kind enough to win me this SW 78 (rabbet and fillister plane, Jeff). The photos were blurry, only two pictures, and not of the interesting parts we need to see. I had enough hints to think this was going to work out great so I put a low ball bit in and won.

It arrived the other day, but I had errands to run and teaching took up my time on Thursday. Today I set out to do a bunch of sharpening and rehabbing. I cleaned the body in soapy water and made new sandpaper "stones" by glueing various paper grits to pieces of Corian and birch ply. I think I have to switch adhesives, my paper buckles. I'll try Super 90 next. I'm getting pretty good at sharpening freehand I like it better because there are less "things" involved than guides and all of that. It also builds confidence in the eyes and hands I think.  I have some sole lapping to finish, and the nicker doesn't sit nicely in its various positions.

I'm in love with this plane, the 78 is comfortable,  works beautifully and looks great. I'm going to be selling the Moving Fillister I posted about, if your interested contact me. Actually I'll be selling all three in that photo.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, is that the same fillester I was interested in (but contacted the guy too late)???

    If so, I'm interested!

    ReplyDelete