Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

It Starts: The Roubo Build, Legs

Alternate titles for this post included: Four-Square a Tree; Paul Bunion was a pansy, he only cut the tree down; This must be what shaping a keelson is like etc.


Anyways, here is the first of the pair of salvaged 6x8s I'm going to make the legs out of. Because they were salvage my saw-guy won't touch them, I was going to have 6x6's cut. Then I figure, why not use 6x8s? Why not make a triple tenon (maybe)?  It will only harm someone when it a) falls on you b) drag a (few) unsuspecting friends over to move it to my future house or c) when I die and someone else inherits it. I'm hoping to teach and bequeath my tools/shop to a grandson someday.
 

A shot attempting to show how good I am :), then again they are legs, they don't have to be perfect, I'll throw it on it's side when built and square the leg faces to eachother and the top when I'm done.
 

I was so excited I just kept working after dark, I only worked about 2-3 hours off an on to square and cross cut each beam. Very happy so far. I was using a black crayon to mark and label the beams, I really like the crayon, planes off, marks well, doesn't leave a trace.


I love the scrub plane, so happy I bought it. It's one of my favorite tools.


To give you an idea of what it will be like. The legs are spaced at their approximate positions, and the 6' rule shows the size of the top. I'm making the top out of laminated New Zealand Pine, which I can get new from a lumber reclaimer nearby. Now I'm not sure whether to laminate 4x6's or 1 1/4x6s for the top. I think the thinner boards and more laminations will give a more stable top. We'll see what the grain is like. Cost on the 4x6 is insane, $1.50 a running foot. That means a 6ish by 20" by 6' top, read MASSIVE will cost $45 plus glue. Awesome.   

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, great start. You're giving me extra motivation to get off my butt and start on my own Roubo-Moxon. Only I'm starting with my long stretchers and THEN my legs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it. Though I've always found that cutting the mortise before the tenon easier to fit. Unless you just mean laminating or rippping your stretchers.

    ReplyDelete