Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Blacksmithing and a Problem


Here is my small forge setup, I use if for small items, hooks and knives etc. Today I made a holdfast, a knife and the body for a nail header. I plan to make some hand wrought nails and brads for projects to be totally authentic. Maybe I'll sell some on Etsy.com, more about that possibility some other day.
 

I followed the Schwarz on this one, reading about holdfasts was interesting, and I'll have to make more before I find something that works perfectly. The knife is there too. He's been sitting around waiting to be finished for a while.


The holdfast in a chunk of the leg offcut, approximating my future benchtop. I bored several different holes. This one, that's holding pretty well is 11/16th, the holdfast is 5/8 dia. I have some 3/4" square barstock and I want to forge that into an octagon 3/4 across flats and see how that holds. I might need a little larger hole for the depth I have. More fiddling.


Here's the coffee table all finished, sort-of. It looks good huh? Actually, I didn't realize the paste wax was going to pull some of the darkness out of the stain, so it's too light now to match the room it's for. I have to strip it down and refinish it. I think I'll fume it, tried, true and old. I think I'll have more luck with that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment