Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Tools I've Made


This isn't everything, but it's a good assortment of what I've made/like to make. I have part of a large frame saw (for resawing) for me, a walnut bow saw for coping blades for a friend, a marking gauge, a beader with two fences, a small cheek saw (for planes) in the works, a hand countersink, spare handle, and two chisels I forged out of concrete nails and finally a panel saw that I cut down to carry in my knapsack to class.


Here's a shot of the spare handle, I think I'm going to forge a few single bevel skew chisels and handle them with these. I have about 18 more blanks ready to be planed like this (I'll cover that in another article). The maple is from some cut up science lab table that found it's way into the shop. I was inspired by the Swiss Made chisels I saw at Woodcraft. The countersink in the background is just a regular straight shank 6-flute job you find in any hardware store. the handle is spalted maple from the firewood pile turned on a pole lathe.

Detail of one of the chisels, I like forging little tools out of concrete nails, they are high carbon and easy to heat treat. Because they are so small I forge on my tiny anvil (railroad track) and work with about 5 at a time. 15 minutes can leave me with about 7-10 blanks.

The last two shots are joints on the framesaw. The top is how the arms attach to the handle the bottom is how the blade block attaches to the handle.

3 comments:

  1. Love the sawed-off saw! A good solution -- although a backsaw might have worked as well (depending on what you were hoping to do. ;)


    --GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently at school and my backwas is in need of a lot of restoration (and at home) so I made do with one of 18 panel saws I had "found" in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking work! I especially like the chisels from the nails - very cool.

    ReplyDelete