Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Coffee Table Design


Here's a coffee table that I'm being commissioned to make for my parents house. It's 18 inches tall, 42 inches long and 18 inches deep. White oak, with some sort of dark finish, maybe fumed? There are still some details, like the drawer to figure out. It's styled after some mission furniture they looked at getting back in February.


Here it is with the top and shelf removed. M&T joinery throughout, what do you think of the runners for the drawer? I think they are a little unorthodox, but simple and easy to do. The legs are 1.5 inches square btw.


Lastly, here is a cut-away of the leg/rail joint. The rails are 3/4 inches wide. After this gets built, I need to design a matching entertainment table.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good to me. How are you attaching the runners for the drawer to the carcase? You may also want to think about using one, larger, stronger stretcher down below; I can just see myself resting my feet on one of those stretchers and breaking the wood. You may also want to watch Robert Rozaievski's recent table build at logan cabinet shoppe if you haven't already. As I recall, he ran into problems with corner M&T's like that because of something that anyone could have overlooked. Now, I can't remember what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The runners are going to be blind mortises. I think the bottom stretchers will be okay once the bottom "shelf" is installed. We will see though. Do you mean Bob's Porriger table? I've started watching them, but am only on number three or so. I'll look through and see what he was having a problem with, I sure wouldn't want one too.

    Thanks for the comments
    Trevor

    ReplyDelete