Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Quick Stanley #75 Rehab

I stopped at a barn sale today, the sign was for last weekend :( it didn't matter I still walked away with cool stuff, he's having another sale next week. I can't wait.

I got 4 old Jogenson handscrews and a Stanley #75 Bullnose rabbet plane, keeping with the animal theme here's a little squirrel tail (I'm making a thicker iron and integral lever cap for this) my grandmother gave me as part of my graduation gift (also got some crazy small drills and a jointer's toolbox. I'll do a write-up, don't worry.)

Here are the ground (sorry no pic yet) and masked parts ready for some poor mans japaning. The original japanning was about 85-90% but I like fresh and clean looking so... Someday, when I have a sandblast cabinet and I experiment with actual japanning, I'll refinish all these tools I've faked. But that won't be for a while.

Now with paint! Yes that's a Q-tip for keeping paint out of the screw hole. It was fun, lapping the sole and sides plus painting and dressing the iron a little bit took little over an hour. It was a fun short project to do considering I have some big things ahead of me: Building a coffee table and entertainment table for my parents, building a kitchen table for a friend, about a zillion tutorial/toolmaking projects, a saw till, a plane till, selling my tiny horizontal mill after I get parts off of it for my tiny lathe, and selling my SB 9A and tooling/material/spare castings when I don't need it to rebuild the little lathe. Whew. I'm tired already

No comments:

Post a Comment