Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

"Planing"

Okay so I really am planing, but just for practice. I reclaimed this 2x10 from some engineers down the hall attempting to make a ?!?!!? something or 'nother... Anyways it had some cupping so I took my jack (#5, jeff) to it.
So I know I have about a zillion things wrong here... table too low, too much overhang on the bench hook (I'm supporting the board with my knee for full length cuts) but I got a reasonably flat surface given the lack of actual woodworking space. By the way I'm in our school studio. The shop is closed for the semester and I'm waiting for paint to dry.
Part of the infatuation (compulsion?) is with the character of the shavings, they vary depending on the skew depth and grain it's amazing to watch. I've gotten much better at setting and changing the blade height and lateral adjustment. On this board I see the benefit of a chambered/edges-knocked-off iron, I've got little corners in my step-overs.
Action shot, thanks to my girlfriend for the photos, (she even wanted to plane some) :)

Lastly, one of the artistic shots of the shavings my girl started taking, I like them, I think one will become my backdrop.

No comments:

Post a Comment