Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Sawbenches


Here's my Borg haul, I raided the cull lumber pile for wood for my sawbenches, lot's of 2x12 and 2x4, mostly nice looking. The girl rang it up as "green" colored, $.51 per piece. Awesome. The paint and stain is for a deck and siding I'm redoing at a friend's house. The guy there said they aren't allowed to stock 4x4 doug. fir at their store, only cedar and pressure treated, isn't that stupid, I got some 2x8's to rip and laminate for the legs.


I didn't grab a picture of ripping the 2x8's and cutting to 20 inch segments for the bench, it's not nearly as bad as you think, I had some problems with the set on my D-8 rip, it's a little fine for softwood I think. So I used my Marples Ryoba, which I really like. The rip cam be described as, "butter".


Clamping strategies and motivation to build these from Bob Rozaieski during his workbench build. Yes, that's a picnic table. It racks a little, but it's so much more fun to be outside in the sun rather than being in out cramped, particle board "bench-ish" area in the basement.


Here's the first leg, the other front leg is clamped and drying in the 4 Jogensons I picked up two weekends ago. There is going to be quite a hodgepodge of joinery in this bench, mostly so I can practice different joints, these are really the first non dado/rabbet joints I've done all by hand, there are some gaps but I hope by the second bench they will be much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment