Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pembroke Table-Finished with the Top

This past week was number four, meaning we are halfway through the process, by the end of class my top was pattern routed, the spurs were carved in, and the edges were scraped smooth. I have a little tweaking to do on the rule joint, so that it closes all the way.

Drawing in the intersection lines for the spurs, the router leaves a 3/8" radius that will be carved into a sharp corner.


Pairing the curve with my lovely sharp 1" TH. Witherby, I like mahogany.


Careful cuts here, any f-ups will be painfully visible on the piece any time the leaves are up. We don't want that.


Finished spur, details like these tell you than this table has handwork in it, there is just no way to do a sharp inside corner like this with powered machinery.


Scraping the edges down, there is a bit of tearout that even the spiral downshear bit couldn't deal with. This will clean all of that up.

Here we are after about 12 hours of work, not bad. The surface is pretty good, sanded to 320, though there is a spot where an errant glue drop or chip dented the surface. I might try steaming it out. I've seen that done with good success.

On a completely separate note, one of my students recognized a picture I have of a Mike Dunbar double Windsor I have in my office (I have a lot of machinery prints, etchings from the Centennial Exhibition, and furniture photographs about), apparently her friend took a class with Dunbar in Philadelphia a few years ago and loved it. Damn, missed the boat on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment