Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Setting up the New Home Shop

It's been a long time coming, but the day is finally here. I'm building a workbench, and I have a space to keep it that has a window and hardwood floors. My girlfriend an I just moved to a new place, and we agreed that using the master bedroom as a sewing and woodworking room i.e. our craft room. Why do you need a big room to sleep in? We debated, momentarily about making the living room our studio, there was more space, three glorious windows that get morning sun; however if we had company if would be odd to shuffle them all into the back bedroom to hang out.


This is a pile of Radiata pine, purchased from Atlas Wood Products, their website is really minimal, but they are great people and they have a huge assortment of wood. All of it is reclaimed from pallets. These particular pieces were once large ties for industrial pallets, ulgy sounding, but there are some gorgeous beans in there. We started surfacing some of the boards for the top, I'll post a picture of the top soon as I can get to it. I was in a rush to load all this wood upstairs before it got totally soaked by the rain.

This is wood enough for tops and legs, perhaps some stretchers for myself and a friend of mine, built like a Rubo/Holzappfel hybrid. Stay tuned, we will be reglazing some really cool diamond pane windows in the next week or two, putting the workbenches on hold. Would that be of interest to anyone?

This is a shot of the tool corner of the room, which is also project lumber storage for three different pieces so far. Tomorrow I'm going to the LN event, I'll also be picking up bed oak, so add another project to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment