Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Building More of a Bed


Here's where my day started, I've got a test tenon here to layout the knockdown fasteners and check how the riven pins fit the bit I'm intending to bore.

If I was an "ar-tiste" I'd call this Transformation of a Riven Peg. I'm not, so this is the steps in making really strong pegs for drawboring. On an artsy note I really like how the Swiss Army Knife came out it's color and wear.


View of the cramped quarters occupied by the knockdowns.

And the plate used to rive the pegstock. it's a piece of 5/16 mild steel with a 3/16" 1/4" 5/16" 3/8" and 7/16" diameter holes. It can't be hardened, because it's mild steel (insert drivel about chemistry) but that's no matter. It's attached to a chunk of D.Fir 4x4 with 5/8 holes bored under the cutting holes.

A mockup of the bed, I've still got work to do before I drawbore the short sides together, namely breaking the edges, smoothing and dying the parts.

All packed up and ready to take home. Good thing this project is almost over, I've been tiring of carrying one stick of lumber into and out of my apartment for the last few weekends. After moving the lumber for the workbench two or three more times I'll be ecstatic to work on smaller items like the molding planes and kumiko.

No comments:

Post a Comment