Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Pembroke Table-Leaf Support Aprons

Here follows the next phase of the Pembroke Table class at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop. It's been a long 7 weeks so far, I'm itching to get this thing home, but really enjoyable. I get to leave a day of teaching to practice the craft and get taught myself. It's a nice change of pace, not being the one everyone looks to for an answer like my day job can be.


Fairing out the curves on the leaf support with a rasp, a card scraper followed and removed the tool marks.


Alan's fixture for sanding the finger pulls, I think it would have been fun(er) to carve them with a gouge, but I've been catching enough hand-tool flack from some of the class that I'll make this exception.


I forget what I was telling Mario at this point, but I'm sure it was really important.


Aside from being a cool shot of hands, this is an important step for me. I'm going to cut the dadoes by hand, in this step I'm measuring the range of motion the corner of the leaf moves about. This is so I can make the dado deep enough so as not to bind.


Cutting the dado sidewalls with a gorgeous old backsaw.


What a nice reveal? The three knuckle hinge board is not the right one though, the grain doesn't match.


Well it opens, and it stops at 90 degrees to the apron. How sexy is that?


Action planing.


I'm sighting down the apron to see if the leaf support sticks out proud of the sides, it does a little bit, I think the inside of the hinge needs to be relieved a plane stroke or two.


The finished sides awaiting the next step. That's the wonderful #604C with a Hock iron I used to do my smoothing. I love this plane, it's fantastic.

Yeah, I got oak. What's it to you? This board has some of the last pieces I need for the bed build. I did some color sampling today, I'll post tomorrow about that, glorious fun those W.D. Lockwood dyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment