Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Bit about the Why

I woke up this morning thinking about a lot of things; I thought about the debate between Art, Craft and Design, one of my favorite topics in design school. I thought about how my life might go ( a little heady for 6 AM but there you have it), and I thought about why I do what I do. Why am I compelled to make things? Man is a toolmaking animal, I guess a cupboard, shelves, a coffee table might be considered tools for living right? I'm not so sure it's as simple as that but it's a strong link to me that ties all creative efforts to a common cause in my mind.

Then I thought about a quote in the PW #182, in the Clark & Williams article, on page 39 Schwarz quoted a line by  H.D. Lawrence. It said, "Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing for long years. And for this reason, some old things are lovely warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them."

I was floored. This touched on something I'd thought about a long time ago. I wanted to build things, put a little piece of my life in them, and build them well so they would last for generations. In that way I would in the spirit of the "transferred touch [of life/passion?] live on long after my death.

How inspiring? I need to go to the shop. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment