Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

He Can't Be Serious, More Chisels? Yup.


Well, when you come across a 1" Wetherby BEC for $2, a 1/2" Foulton socket firmer for $1, and a 1/2" B.S. and W. Co. (or maybe it's P.S. and W. Co. can't tell) for $.50 you have to get them. Even if you have to steal a dollar from that 5 year old staring at you rooting through piles of ferrite and carbon.

Then when some guy'll take $8 for a 2" slick ('nother hard to read'er) blade with some mushrooming and a pair of calipers (not shown) you should grab that too.
   

This morning I turned an oak handle for the slick, I finished it with straight beeswax on the lathe. I grab a big hunk, and hold it against the spinning part, until I get a decent coat. Then I take a rag, cotton tee shirt works best, and holding the ends like I'm buffing a shoe, buff the wax. The friction from the rag melts the wax and forces it into the pores, after a while the wax really makes it's way in and shines up really good. Then move to a clean portion of rag to take off any extra. After a while, your rag has enough built up wax in it to wax and buff parts as is.

The bottom tool in the above photo is an edge float for planemaking. Which will be the topic of my next post.

1 comment:

  1. PS&W = Peck, Stowe & Wilcox aka "PEXTO"

    --Anonymous Comment Leaving Person

    ReplyDelete