Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sycamore Score, and What I've Been Up To


 I was driving from school to my other job (very close) to get some work done during my two hour break between classes. I took a wrong turn, there are three turns that all go to the same place and they all look similar. Oops. Lucky for me some surgeons were taking down a beautiful sycamore. They let me take some, unfortunatly I didn't have a giant flatbed and the ability to take a huge burly (figured) sycamore trunk to a sawmill I know. Damn.

I sawed this guy down the center, and painted the ends. I'm hoping I'll get to take it over to my bosses shop, he has a large resaw capacity Rikon, to QS it into boards and turning blocks.
   

I really like the wave this piece has, there is some reaction wood, so we shall see how it goes. I got it split and painted within about 4 hours of it coming down so I'd hope things are off to a good start.


Here is a shot of what I spend my Sunday morning on, they are maple and rosewood. I start by cutting blocks and drilling for a 3/8" pin. Then glue the pin and let dry. Then I turn, finish with beeswax, polish and glue a drilled cork on. I cut about 85 pins from dowels in a little miter box I made to cut two 1" long 3/8" pins for my class, I just used one slot and cut 2" long pins. The corks get drilled in a special chuck on the lathe. A wooden block turned round, with a #8 cork taper cut into it spins in the lathe, With the machine running a cork is forced into the chuck with a block of wood. The block applies even pressure and allows you to adjust the cork for runout. Then drill and presto! I drilled 50 corks in about 20 minutes with this technique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment