Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rehabbing a Smoother

Yes the background of this photo has the blog post window that I'm actually writing for this post, it's like breaking-news, about a piece of wood.
So I picked up two Sandusky #3 smoothers from an OldTools list member. One had some bad checking, but has a great iron for some plane I'll make, the other has a big mouth, too big to take nice shavings. I drilled and chiseled out the waste to fit a maple scrap, planed flat and filed the mouth 'till a sliver was opened the full width. I still have to finish sharpening the iron, maybe fettle some then see how she cuts. The mouth may need more work after all that.
Here's a shot of the patch on the mouth, it's a little gappy around the front.
Here's an overhead of my sharpening jigs and the smoother iron plus the little #9 1/2 (adjustable mouth block plane, jeff).

No comments:

Post a Comment