Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ladderback Chair

This is the first, fir, mock-up of a chair I've designed for the furniture design class I'm taking this semester. It was tested with the whole class about comfort issues, seat depth, height and other critical "comfort" measurements. Things are changing based on those comments, I'm ditching the shaped lower stretcher (in chipboard) the seatpan has to tilt backwards, and move forewards. the rear legs will splay backwards, the back will raise to 40 inches, there will be three backslats. Here is the 8' piece of 6/4 Oak I'm going to break down for bend-laminating the back legs and making the other parts. And here is my favorite part so far, the raw seatpan lamination. I used generously donated 1/8" plywood (birch veneer balsa core?) it was screwed against a one part 2x4 mould (with exactly 102 1 1/4" drywall screws) I still have to Bondo and veneer the lamination with Oak (also donated). I'll post pictures of the mould and process in a separate section when I process the second seatpan.

No comments:

Post a Comment