Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Plane Haul

Today I took a drive with my room mate to a flea market by his house. When we got there it was the emptiest I'd ever seen it. It had rained a little before we left so many of the vendors weren't there yet. We were a little hesitant, was there going to be anything awesome here this early and sparse? The answer was yes!

On the second table we walked past there was a woodie jack in nearly mint condition. No checks, no cracks, sole has a little wind in it, but other than that it's perfect. Cost $12, I couldn't not, if you know what I mean? I picked up a countersink for my brace, and a giant 18" no tang wood rasp for $2 to forge into a drawknife, adze, axe, and maybe a slick. I should have bought more giant files. And an carbon table saw blade for another $1.Then it happened, I found the plane I'd been searching for for weeks, eBay had been pricey... First thinks I saw on his table were some moulding planes in great condition. I didn't "need" any of them and I didn't have a ton of money on me, I moved down the line. He had a row, and I mean 7 or 8 #4's (smoother, jeff) and some blocks. just peeking out the back of the smoothers was the telltale brass knob and stamped steel adjuster. I acted coy I didn't want to go all bug eyed right in front of him. After picking up a smoother or two and fiddling with them I picked up the adjustable mouth block, I wasn't putting it down. everything looked good, and the action was nice and tight. the tag said $18, cheaper than shipping on eBay, but before I could haggle the guy said he'll take 10. I've never met a guy to haggle his own prices down, but I took him on it and walked away with a big dumb grin on my face.

Here are some more shots, it's a bevel up, blade width 1 5/8, a left-hand depth adjusting screw, brass/plated knobs, finger depressions on the sides, and a later-style lever cap. I think these indicate a post 1908 #9 1/2 but can anyone confirm this? It's only marking is STANLY on the toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment