Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Wooden Planemaking

An old illness has burned back with a fury. Planemaking. It's here to stay too. I've ordered a scarce copy of Whelan's The Wooden Plane: Its History, Form and Function and got a copy from New York on inter-library loan, because I was too impatient to wait. Between working on the bed I've taken moments to begin work on a miniature rabbet plane.


After final trimming it will hardly be 5 1/2" long. It will be 3/8" wide.

It's made of beech and boxed in Brazilian Cherry (at least that's what the scrap piece I had was supposed to be. Janka says it's very hard around 3000 if I remember correctly. Boxwood comes in at around 2900 so I think this will work, assuming it's stable enough to use. I can't wait to trim to fit.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting build and I will be watching future posts. Mind if I ask where you got the beech from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was from a large slab of 8/4 I bought from my local mill, originally for use in a Moxon Vise. As I started milling it it was just too pretty to use for that. It sat around, it was mostly rift/quarter sawn so I thought duh, use it for planes. I'm trying to locate a beech tree that I can have sawn to my spec. then air-dry myself, and also some quartered dry stock to make planes from until that dries.

    ReplyDelete