Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Veritas Gent's Saw Review

Last Friday I went to the Furniture Workshop, to finish the last few operations on my Pembroke Table. While there I eyed some new goodies just unpacked on Alan's bench, two pairs of Lee Valley's Veritas Gentleman's Saws. Alan liked how they handled, and the smoothness of cut, then invited me to test drive them.

The Arts and Crafts Tool Chest class was starting soon, and since I've not yet finished the dovetail saw kit my girlfriend gifted to me, it sounded like the perfect opportunity to test out the saw.


Layout for the baselines, on wide stock like this, I'm not a huge fan of the combination square, I find that it moves a bit. But a marking gauge is a little less than ideal.


Here is the 20 TPI rip saw in use, it's light and easy to control, and much more comfortable than other gent's saws. I had never liked a gent's saw grip before this one.


A little more drama, I've also started sawing English-style. By dropping the saw handle to establish the front kerf, then let that kerf guide the sawplate down the back side.


The saw is also thin and tracks well, but is still thick enough to fit a fret blade inside.


The pared tails...

And the wetted down practice joint.

I like this saw, it's affordable, and preforms exceptionally out of the box. If I didn't have a dovetail kit to finish I'd buy this saw for my small stuff dovetailer. That being said I think the crosscut version would be welcome addition to my arsenal. I'll have to work with that one some more too. I'm happy so see Veritas doing more great work, I've come to expect them to put out something built amazingly well, function to a high degree and at an affordable price.

As a matter of clarification, no I was not paid or coerced into writing this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment