Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Gifts from the North

So I went home with my girlfriend for spring break, she lives in Buffalo, NY. After 10 hours in the car. we finally arrive. I saw a lot of sights, Lakes Erie and Ontario, Niagara Falls, vineyards and awesome homes, but some of the best parts of the trip were found in the antique and woodworking shops. I found this little plow plane nestled upside down on a shelf, I righted him.
It only had one 1/4" iron and was priced a little too high for me. Don't worry I did go home with some goodies.

Here are some socket chisels I picked up from my girlfriend's grandmother. What?! I found a girl that encourages my galootism? She also picked up two putty knives, (I'm cleaning them without her knowledge) for use in our Screen Printing class at school. One is amazing, under all the grime I found what looks to me rosewood handles with brass pins and dovetailed aluminum bolsters, don't worry photo to come.

Next up are three of my "fun" wooden planes, they all still need sharpening and tuning...I hope to get to some of that tomorrow. Starting from the left, a groove (for tongue and groove) plane from Buffalo, NY. Second a molding plane, I'm not sure what profile to call it, I'll ask about it in another post. Finally, a moving fillister plane bought from an Old Tools List member. It is very beefy. I can't wait to use it.

You may notice in that back there a jack plane, still in need of sole flattening and a sharpening (bought for $.99 on fleabay). And the eagle eyes will spot a wooden plane wedge leaning there in the back. That belongs to my wooden jointer, an heirloom from my grandfather, that rejuvenating thread is still to come.

Up tomorrow is de-barking some found oak and poplar? and sharpening irons.

Special thanks to Dave Pearce for adding me to his links page.

No comments:

Post a Comment