Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

The introduction from my old blog, reposted.

The following is what I posted about 7 months ago on a new blog I was starting during a tumultuous period of my life. A lot has changed and in the last few weeks I've been getting my drive back. I've set some ambitious farm/agricultural goals for this season, and built some cool things that are hardly fine furniture. It's coming back together. 

"Hi, my name is Trevor, I'm 26 and I live in Philadelphia.

I'm having a crisis.

You see I've got two major loves that pitch me down a rabbit hole nearly daily. I love to learn, by doing, reading or hearing what others have to say. I'm also deeply motivated by doing what's right for the planet in a long term legitimately sustainable set or practices.

The need to balance these motivations makes me want to quit my job and move into the woods nearly weekly; but that brings a whole slew of problems stemming from my debts (University, what a brilliant idea, "Here, spend $120,000 and 4 years doing what we say to figure out what you want your life to be about) (I'm out of debt as of 2/6/2014!). Ultimately I look at one or two workshops, maybe $1000 in leisure reading (that you could borrow), a visit to Dickinson's campus, hiking in the Wissahickon park, and working at Weavers Way co-op for my working member shifts as the most influential experiences in my "green" education. Added together they account for about 3% of the time, money and effort I spent (along with my parents, and the government) getting a "practical education". I made awesome, lifelong friends, and yes I had the opportunity to discover these things partly through college, but that doesn't mean I couldn't find them without.

I find it funny, here I am 3 years into a career after college, yes I use my skills gained and interests in my work but when I go home at night I find myself browsing biodiesel, waste vegetable oil heaters and cook-stoves, renewable energy, self sufficiency, eco-minimalism, beehives, farmland to buy, Sketch-Uping tiny house plans, etc. The poignant take away is that these are all words you'd find archived on my internet history from high school. Maybe if I started reading soon enough I would have been fortunate enough to become that amazing college drop out, who's well adjusted, completely focused in life and totally at peace."

Yes I've quoted myself, I know it's uncouth. It's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment