Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Remember When I Said I Didn't Want To Get Into Inlay?

For many of you I think you'll understand firsthand exactly the way this plot unfolds. In woodworking we tend to have certain interests that further narrow the field. Maybe it's marquetry or veneering, a particular family of joints, turning, a style like Federal or Chippendale. Also for many of us, I think there are concentrations we just aren't interested in.

For me that was inlay and marquetry, most of what I saw and connected to the two was Federal styled furniture. I don't like Federal at all, it's too flashy and adorned. The applied crotch mahogany reminds me of phenolic laminate added to something to make it look like something else. I understand there is a whole lot of skill and detail in making the bandings and paterae, Steve Latta's technical skill is really fascinating. I just don't want anything to do with it.

Fast forward to now, and after becoming hooked on the notion of Pennsylvania spice chests, I need to do some inlay. Not just that the piece calls for it, but now I see the value of holly strung around a walnut board.

To that end I was really excited when LV introduced their inlay tools, I asked some questions in a thread on SMC and after some communication ordered some tools. Here's what I've come up with so far.


Holly design in Mahogany. I got antsy and dove in. This means I didn't glue little sacrificial blocks to the surface where I intended to put the center of the arc. I have some little dents and digs where eager manipulation of the cutter caused the center point to shift and a new (read incorrect) arc was produced. Still most of it came out great. I've learned that slow lighter cuts with enough scoring between hogging makes the best cuts. I ordered the .025" thick blade which fits 1/40th veneer exactly. I used hide glue to adhere and finished by scraping and sanding. I still have to make little telescoping tube drills so that I can cut out little "berries" and install them at the vertices of some of the piece.

As soon as I can load Illustrator onto my home laptop I'll start drawing out patterns and ideas for my spice cabinet. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment