Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Small Jelly Cabinet

In need of more pantry and some dish space, and after having seen some images, my girlfriend absolutely fell in love with some small jelly cabinet type pieces. So while at the yard, getting wood for the bed project I also got some mineral stained pine for cabinet we would one day make.


My girlfriend is a great sawyer, just mark the lines and stand well back.


Laying out the shelves, this tree was kind enough to space it's rather large knots shelf widths apart. We got the whole carcass and shelves out of one 11 foot board with some goodies left over.



The shelves turned out prettier than the sides, their staining was a little more regular and a bit more tasteful.

Showing us a rough mock up of the piece.

Now one with the back boards. There is a hodge-podge of woods in this thing. White Pine (I believe) for the sides and shelves, poplar for the door and two of three back panels and some Radiata Pine for the legs. April is largely the stylistic director of this piece (I'm offering the technical support) and plans to go with a two-tone cream over green milk paint job, which I think will look awesome. I think a wash of shellac (Krenov calls it polish) would do well on the shelves to make for easier cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment