Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pembroke Table-Hinged Top

Tonight's goal, get those brass things in the mahogany. Cake. Just pay attention to the marked lines and don't overshoot your depth.

This is the mortise laid out with a knife, the hinge and the primary chisel for this work a 1/2"ish Buck Bros. tanged firmer. I like this chisel and I have three more in in varying sizes I need to restore and rehandle.

Mario graciously took a few process photos, which I'm thankful for you get to see some of my face and have some more interesting shots. On this mortise I've already cut to rough depth with a chisel, then cleaned and leveled with a router plane. The Starret #237 is there to make sure I don't overcut with the chisel work.

Checking the fit and motion of the leaf side.

Checking to see if it rocks or is held up on the notch which houses the hinge barrel.

It does, a touch, so I'm shaving down some of the notch.

All mounted up, the rule joint looks good. My quirks do not meet the tightest out of the class one is spot on, so I'll need to do some shoulder plane work to even up the gap.

The odd looking table, to make the leaf and top parts line up is a sensible way we will screw a template to the underside of the top and pattern route the whole thing. I wish I could use a bow saw, files and scrapers, but Alan and Mario would get a little bit too exasperated with me I think. I'll kill some electrons to keep from rocking the boat, I'll stick with my hide glue though.

No comments:

Post a Comment