Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Keepsake Box: Dovetail Excersising

After building a bench on bench to make the crappy Horror Freight "workbenches" my landlord loves (don't ask why) into something passably useful for serious cabinetmaking, I couldn't wait to dovetail. I was positively itching. I had some scraps around and Googled "dovetailed box" for some inspiration. I found some in a box by Rob Cosman. I think his are way overpriced, along with his ridiculous solid surface saw totes, but the box looks alright.

The woods are spruce and butternut for the case, poplar bottom and a spalted beech lid. Finish is (surprisingly, hah) shellac and wax.





I've also build a plywood drawer box to practice building and fitting drawers into. I'm excited to get on that, but my first order of business will be to work on the door for the Key Cabinet. The order for antique glass should be here any day, and I don't want to waste any time on the cabinet I've been building since March .

3 comments:

  1. Very nice. Sometimes banging out a small project can be so satisfying - especially when you've been making shop furniture/accesories for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what I see, I'm still recovering from a cedar box I did a quad sided dovetail box that hurt my feelings more than once. any way I learned a lot of lessons.
    Where do you get your wood from? Here in central Indiana our local lowes/menards/homedepot only carry the top 4. Are the dark sides the Butternut? Exotic Woods has chunks but not "boards" ~~~Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnut, white pine, beech top. Pine bottom too. The pine is tight QS boards probably scavenged from a box store. The rest is bits of this and that. I couldn't tell you exactly where. There should be someone operating a little sawmill around you somewhere.

      Delete