Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

T.H. Witherby Restoration

Restoring a tool to it's former glory is a very rewarding thing for me. It's better than building a new project, better than showering. Heck it's even better than scoring a crispy #9, NIB for $2 from the rust hunt. Well maybe not on the last one, I'd love that too.

But still, I love restoring a tool, it's the matter of taking something perhaps missing a handle or deemed mostly unusable by most people (even better if everyone says "What the hell is that?") and returning it's dignity by cleaning it up, getting it's parts back together and letting it serve the job it once performed. Objects have a soul in this way, call me crazy, but I think they look happy, after being pressed back into service.

All this started after some time on the lathe creating a beech handle for a 1" TH Witherby bevel edge firmer chisel. The overall length is 13.5 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment