Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dovetail Marking Gauges

Today I built something I always wanted, a dedicated dovetail marker. This was spurned by some boredom and the (re)finding of some bits of brass bar I'd milled square way back when I had a small milling machine. I debated about practicing peined double dovetails, but didn't exactly have the right stock for it. If there was some steel plate around, I would have loved the look of those.

I've got two markers, one is a 1:7 and 2:9ish with cocobolo, and a square and 1:7 marker with ebony. The blades are all 1/8" inch brass and are capable of laying out DTs on 1" stock. Now for the sexyness. I didn't get a good picture of the finished markers, so I'll post them tomorrow when I can shoot them in the sun.








I can't wait to bring them to the Blanket Chest class at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop in a couple of weeks. I'm intending to do a production run of these, so if you're interested leave a comment with a slope you think should be produced. I favor the square/slope version. 

1 comment: