Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Design Process: Part I

After reading through Tom Fidgen's book Made By Hand, again, I was inspired to start designing a wall cabinet around this one waney edged board I picked up a few months ago. I did a few thumbnails and then started to build the thing in SketchUp to see the proportions work out. Here's a look at a few of the drawings. The one on the left is the front face of the cabinet, I'm imagining the door is fumed beech with glass and mullions. I've also got thumbnails of the mullion arraignments there too, I like the asymmetric ones I guess... Six lights looks good to me, but not for the feel of this cabinet, it's too house-like in this instance. I also like the dramatic feeling in an irregular angular layout. I'll need to build some mock ups to solve that question.   


I'm pretty happy with the case at this point, but I'm still not sure on a few things, the location of the shelves/drawers/dividers and the arraignment of the lights. I'll make a mock up out of cardboard with interchangeable parts to live with the arraignments in real life. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment