Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Design Process: Part II

Krenov and others working in his style has had a huge impact on me recently. Both, in terms of aesthetic sensibilities, and in the mindset of the woodworker. Here follows the finished cardboard mock-up of the Walnut Key Cabinet. This photo shows the actual view a six foot tall individual will see of the hung cabinet.

The size is approximately 18" tall, 11 3/4" wide and 7 1/4" deep. The case will be of walnut shown below, the frame and panel back will be QS white oak, with mabye white pine or beech for the panel. I think there will also be another thin rail 2/3rds up the back panel with pegs in it. This is, after all, a key cabinet. I think. The case will also have a drawer, hidden by the door, I'm not sure what wood that will be yet, maybe white oak also.  

These next two pictures are of the mock-up building, very simple tools and materials. I love paper mock-ups. These are the same techniques I teach in the first project of my model making class. 


  I really love the grain in this board, it measures just over 7 1/4 inches wide and about 8 foot several inches long. I wasn't intending to buy walnut when I visited the lumberyard, but I couldn't resist. There were two other walnut boards
I could have gone for, and a gorgeous 8/4 spalted maple slab...I should have gotten it. It's probably gone now. Live and learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment