Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Working with other Materials

In the first semester of my senior year in college we partnered with the Philadelphia based C.H Briggs office to work with a material called Corian. You may know it as a solid surface counter top material made by DuPont.

Anyways the material is really cool (for not being wood), in all seriousness I thought I would hate due to its lack of cellulose, that wasn't the case. It was amazing stuff. It can be heat formed, printed on (in a process called dye sublimation), glued with special glue, cut with a CNC etc. Signmakers use rather extensively I've noticed. Our task was to work with it and find new uses for the counter top material. Because of its properties I knew I wanted to do something with food. I also knew that heat forming it was a process I was going to love.

I had about a zillion ideas, but didn't hit my stride until I chose a food culture to work with. I chose sushi, it had a lot of positive things going for it, sushi is about plating, it has tradition, it tastes awesome. Here is what I came up with after about 4 months in the design process...


Okay that is just the rough mock-up out of foam-core, with foam stand-ins for actual sushi. I'm liking it so I went ahead and built molds in CAD then cut them out on a CNC routing machine. Then I threw some Corian blanks into the oven and got the hydraulic press ready and SQUISH, here's the final thing...complete with freshly dead fish.

 
I have mileage left to go on my ideas for this process, and I'll be posting about those products as I get them ready for production.  Also check out this great write-up about our installation on the Surface&Panel blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment