Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Mathieson Drawer Bottom Planes


 I borrowed one of these from Josh Clark about two years ago to take measurements to someday build these. The time has come. I did some rough CAD to figure out where I needed dimensions and what else I had to think about. I found a few spots that need tweaking, but for the most part it's all thought out.


The Mathieson planes have a dull rounded sort of chamfer on them you see on later made planes. I dislike it, the broad chamfers look better to me.





Beech bodies roughed out, three currently in the works maybe more to come if I don't decide to use my wide stock on something else. I'm trying to decide if I want to use brass or steel for the skate. Any thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. I really like the look of brass but I steel is a better choice to use for the skate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think steel would be better. It will hold up better and your cost would be lower.

    ReplyDelete