Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Checking on Brood and Swarm Removal


I like opening the little Top Bar Nuc (TBN) first, they were angrier the first two times I checked on them and it's easier for me to do the angry ones first (even though they are fine now). 


Second-to-most-recent bar of comb the girls have built. You can see a bunch of pollen and some nectar in the top 1/5th of the comb. The rest is filled mostly with unhatched eggs and recently hatched larvae.


This is a frame of almost completely worker brood, there is an odd cell of nectar in there, but I think the bees with use that up and the queen will go back and lay in empty frames when they emerge. Or maybe they will fill in the whole shebang with stores when the bees emerge.



This comb has a large quantity of capped drone brood and quite a bit of nectar. I haven't seen any capped honey yet, but I think they aren't far off.   


I think this is the same bar, but shows with a little more detail the emerged cells, capped drone cells, and open nectar.


Last one is an action shot of Sarah and I catching a swarm out in West Philly. Boy was that exciting. The very next thing I build is going to be a bee vacuum, which would have made this an hour long catch-drive-hive operation instead of the all evening, shake-sting-curse-drive-sting-curse-tarp-pray cluster (pun intended) it turned out to bee.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment