Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Finished V-Plane

Late last night, I finished sharpening and tuning the V-Plane I wrote about last time. I was too dark to get good photos though so I had to wait until now.

 Vintage iron salvaged from a beat up 7/8" skew rabbet. 

 Looking for fairly even projection here,  it looks massive, the majority of this is due to the mouth geometry, the arris of the iron is really tight, but the farther the two edge get from the point the bigger the mouth. That's okay, this plane is for hogging wood out of a moulding.

 Sample cut, this plane is awesome, it hugs a gauge line and starts a profile similar to a snipes bill, but with a much easier to sharpen iron. Only downside is control over the fillet, it will be 45 degrees, depending on the moulding that may not matter or it might even be preferable.

As a side note, Mouldings in Practice was an awesome book. I read it in one sitting the moment it arrived. Now I need to build a proper sticking board, grind and iron for a number 6 hollow I re-manufactured, and finish some other planes I'm building to work on some picture frames. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Your plane makes more sense to me now that I got Bickford's new mouldings book. I thought you had made it to do vee grooves I've seen in the pigeon holes assy's on roll top desks. How difficult is it to makes the chip ejection round thingie?
    ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear, I've found a few things about moulding planes make sense after Matt's book. I do have intentions for a small 1/4" stock dedicated v plane with nickers or something to do those v grooves.

    As for the "Chip Ejection Round Thingie", commonly it's refered to as the conical escapement (as opposed to side escapement) and it's not very difficult. A few gouges of a useful sweep, say 9ish and 3/8" or so wide along with sandpaper and a dowel make the mechanics pretty easy. The thing that I labored over was the proportions/orientation of the two different sized holes, and the shape of the termination points against the bed.

    It would be helpful to spend some time with a compass or circle template drawing out full sized plan views, or modeling one out of clay or something to get a feel for the geometry.

    ReplyDelete