Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Mucking about in Hyperspace

Not all of us have a Heart of Gold, so sometimes when a problem presents itself, we just have to grumble (thank my puppy for that) and keep bashing our head against a wall until we get it or pass out.

Yesterday I reinstalled SketchUp and attempted to figure out why a certain group of plugins wouldn't load. It was pretty annoying, but I eventually figured out I was missing a whole bunch of other files that allowed the others to work.


Now I can make lofts and fillets with remarkable ease. 


Here's what I wanted to model, well the handle anyway. It's from the esteemed George Wilson, he does amazing things, I hope one day to be a fraction of the craftsman this guy is, and every bit as tool pig.


Here is my work, it's getting there. I still need to figure out how to manipulate the profile it lofts with so I can make it form tangencies where I want and the right shapes over the loft. But it's a start. I;m hoping it's easier to figure out, otherwise I'm going to ditch a program I'd love to use for PencilPaper, a program I'm really good at.


Here is the first project, three jaw pin vises in bloodwood and padauk, chucks from Lee Valley and brass ferrules cut from 1/2" tubing. I'm trying to really get on top of this idea I had, when I go to make a tool, make two and list one in the Shop.


 One is all fit up and for sale, the other needs a little more work to get together.



Here is the other part of the project, a seven piece miniature nut driver set and a 10 piece needle file set. I'm particularly excited for the needle files. Maybe I'll do them in Cuban Mahogany? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment